Men, this article summarization is for you. It is time to face the music. And women, you know you are gonna have to share this with your man, because if I know people, he is probably not as pro active as you are. It is time to talk about the prostate.
Prostate cancer is 27% of all male cancers and the second leading cause of cancer death in men in this society (1). A large study done in the January 2016 American Journal of Clinical Nutrition with 26, 346 participants showed that men who are vegan have an approximate 35% less chance of developing prostate cancer. Now, if you are not willing to become vegan, the good news is you can still make some crucial changes and reap big benefits.
Some major factors that help reduce chance of prostate cancer are reducing animal fat intake, so eating leaner meats (primarily chicken and fish). Another big one is avoiding fried foods. Of course increasing Omega 3 fatty acids is also a big factor. The following foods are very noteworthy as well.
Some foods with anti cancer properties- the cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, bok choy.) These have the sulphoraphanes that have anti cancer effects. Then there is tomatoes, which have lycopene which demonstrates anti cancer effects. Next beans and peas, which have lignins, phytates and protease inhibitors, which show anti cancer properties. Now for green tea- it has polyphenols which have shown the ability to prevent the progression of precancerous prostate lesions (2,3). Now for pomegranate juice- 8 oz of this juice daily helps lower PSA levels in advanced cases of prostate cancer(4). Then there is ground flaxseed, which has phytoestrogens which have shown the ability to slow the replication of prostate cancer cells. (5).
Your general diet, these specific foods, and lifestyle make a real difference in this serious, prevalent condition. Be proactive and get healthy.
Summarized from article “Prostate Cancer Risk” in Acupuncture Today, August 2016 by Dr. James Meschino DC, MS.
1. Tantamango-Bartley T, Knutsen SF, Knutsen R, et al. Are strict vegetarians protected against prostate cancer? Am J CLin Nutr. 2016; 103(1) : 153-160
2) McLarty J, Bigelow R, Smith M et al. Tea polyphenols decrease serum levels of prostate- specific antigen, hepatocyte growth factor, and vascular endothelial growth factor in prostate cancer patients and inhibit production of hepatocyte growth factor and vascular endothelial growth facto in vitro. Cancer Prev Res J. 2009; 2:673.
3) Bettuzzi S, Brausi M, Rizzi F et al. Chemoprevention of Human Prostate Cancer by Oral Administration of Green tea catechins in volunteers with high grade prostate intraepithelial neoplasia: A preliminary report from a one year proof of principle study. Cancer Res. 2006; 66: 1234.
4) J. Pantuck, N. Zomorodian, M. Rettig, W.J. Aronson, D. Heber, A.S. Belldegrun. “Long term follow up of phase two study of pomegranate juice for men with prostate cancer shows durable prolongation of PSA doubling time”. Journal of Urology 2009; 181 (4): 295.
5) Demark-Wahnfried W. Flaxseed supplementation (Not Dietary fat restriction) reduces prostate cancer proliferation rates in men presurgery. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2008; 17 (12):3577-87.